Baked Beef Spring Rolls
Baked beef spring rolls are a great alternative to traditional deep fried spring rolls made with pork. They are a fantastic finger food for and event especially parties. Serve them with your favourite sauces or condiments and your guests will simply love them and ask for the recipe.
We use lean ground beef but any cut can be used. Some people claim that the more fat the better, but I am not really in agreement with that.
For the filling, we add a combination of onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, salt, pepper, and hoisin sauce. You can alter the ingredients according to your choice. If you don’t have hoisin sauce, you can use soy sauce, barbecue sauce, etc.
I always add the green onions at the end, as I don’t want them too soggy, a bit of a crunch is always nice.
The spring roll wrappers can be picked up in the frozen section of just about any grocery store. If you cannot find them there, any Asian store will have them.
In my oven, they bake perfectly at 350 degrees F or 180 C for 40 minutes, but every oven is different. In light of this, keep an eye on them.Video:
- ½ kilo or 1 pound of lean ground beef
- ½ onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped finely
- ½ carrot, chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce or the sauce of your choice
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 20 - 25 spring roll wrappers
- Preheat you oven to 350 degrees F or 180 C.
- Add some oil to a preheated pan. Place the beef in, and fry it, over medium high heat, until it is browned. This should take 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add in the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, and hoisin sauce. Stir and fry for about 3 minutes until the onion and garlic are fragrant.
- Turn off the heat, add in the spring onion, and stir.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper out until it resembles a diamond and place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture across the centre. Fold the two outer edges toward the centre. Take the one end pointing to you, fold it over the mixture, tuck it under, and roll it tightly. Just before rolling completely to the end, place a bit of water on it to seal it.
- Place the wrappers on a baking pan lined with some parchment paper or baking mat seam side down.
- Place the rolls in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve your baked beef spring rolls with you favourite dipping sauce and enjoy.
Share This Recipe