Batchoy is an authentic noodle soup dish of the Philippines. It is made with fresh broth, miki noodles, topped with boiled pork meat, and garnished with crushed pork cracklings. This dish originated the province of Ilo-Ilo, particularly in La Paz. Thus, it is famously known as “La Paz Batchoy”. This dish has different variations. Some locals add fresh eggs as a topping. This is optional, however. If you want a healthy dish, you may not consider adding fresh eggs. The soup itself is obviously high in fat already. You will notice that we add chicken and shrimp for toppings. If you don’t have chicken or shrimp on hand, just add some pork meat. It will suffice.
If you are like some locals and not a fan of pork liver, don’t worry, this dish can be cooked without it. We are not fans of pork liver, as well. I know the original “La Paz batchoy” calls for pork liver, but since we don’t eat it, this our version of tagalog batchoy. I know now you have a craving for this soup, as it is perfect to sip on and serve on a cool, rainy day. So, made this today, and let us now what you think.
- 250 g mami or egg noodles, cooked
- 2 liters (8-10 cups) beef or pork broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp sauteed shrimp paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce (to taste)
- pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- 1/4 kg pork liver cut in strips (optional)
- 1/4 kg pork meat
- 1/4 kg small shrimp, peeled (optional)
- 1 large chicken breast
- chicharon crushed
- spring onion, chopped
- fried garlic
- fresh egg (optional)
(5 / 5)
- Cooked miki or egg noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. Saute garlic and onion until soft and fragrant.
- Pour in broth. Season with fish sauce, shrimp paste and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- After a boil, add the chicken, pork, and pork liver. Simmer over medium low heat for at least 20-30 minutes until meat is tender. Then, add the shrimp and continue to simmer over low heat until shrimp cooked. (Keep the broth hot until ready to use.)
- When tender, remove the meat and slice in strips. Set aside.
- Place in cooked egg noodles in a soup bowl. (Strain the soup if you wish) and pour it over. Top with sliced chicken, pork and pork liver. Garnish with crushed chicharon, fried garlic and spring onions. (Fresh egg is optional.)
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Share This Recipe