Buchi (Mung beans with sesame)
Buchi is a dish made from glutinous rice flour dough filled with sweetened mung beans and coated with sesame seeds. Sometimes red beans can be substituted for mung beans. It is sweet and chewy. As a variation of this, you can use ube or purple yam as filling or red bean paste if you wish.
Some people fail to achieve the right texture consistency which should be chewy and not raw. To make sure that the dough is not raw, deep-fried the balls in oil over medium heat, making sure they’re fully submerged.
These make a terrific snack or dessert for the whole family. To reduce the hustle and fear, there’s a lot of buchi that can be found in many fast food chains in the Philippines, such as “Chowking.” But there is nothing that can beat the homemade version. Make them now and feed your appetite.
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar for dough
- 1 cup water for dough
- 1/2 cup green mung beans (pre soak in water)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for mung beans
- sesame seed
- water for boiling mung beans
- cooking oil
- Servings: 3
- Time: 50 minutes
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: Filipino, Chinese
(5 / 5)
- Boil water in a pot. Place in mung beans, simmer over medium heat at least 30 minutes or until mung beans are tender; drain well.
- Mash beans evenly until paste like and season with sugar to sweeten. Allow to cool down for a few minutes and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, and water in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly until dough like. Make a round shape ball using palm until smooth in texture.
- Carefully press the center of dough and make a small hallow shape for filling. Scoop in at least 1 teaspoonful of mung beans and fill in the center of the dough. Seal all edges by folding and rolling it again until smooth and secure. Careful when rolling so they don’t crack.
Spray the balls with water to ensure the sesame seeds stick.
- Roll the dough into a bowl of sesame seed and make sure the dough is fully covered with sesame seed. Repeat procedure for the rest of the dough.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep frying pan. Deep fry the balls over medium heat only for 2-3 minutes or until sesame seeds turn golden brown; remove and drain excess oil. Do not burn buchi balls.
Share This Recipe