Bulanglang is a healthy and inexpensive vegetable dish which is very popular. It is a mixture of different local vegetables seasoned with fish bagoong. You can add many different types of vegetables according to your taste, preference, and availability. This recipe is cooked in many different ways depending on the region or province where it is cooked. Ilocos, Pampanga and Batangas, however, give the best tasting recipes.
- 2 small eggplant cut in bite size
- 1/2 cup malungay leaves
- 1 small squash cut in bite size
- 1 bittermelon (ampalaya), cut in bite size
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bundle alugbati or spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup bagoong isda (fish bagoong)
- 1-2 pcs fried or dried fish (daing, sapsap, tinapa)
- 3 cups water
- cooking oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Cuisine
(3.5 / 5)
- Heat cooking oil in a wok. Saute onion, garlic and tomatoes until fragrant.
- Pour in water. Put in whole or shredded fried or dried fish.
- Season fish bagoong and adjust according to taste. Bring to a boil.
- After a boil, place in squash, eggplant, bitter melon, alugbati, malungay leaves. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Share This Recipe