Cabbage rolls simple and delicious. They are great served up as a lunch or dinner. You can use a slow cooker or an oven to make these rolls, but using an oven is faster.
To remove the cabbage rolls easily, boil some salted water in a large pot and place the whole cabbage in. I usually remove the core first by cutting around it on a 45 degree angle with a sharp knife. Cut deeply into the cabbage by inserting the knife about 1 1/12 inches. I usually do a second trim around the removed core to ensure the leaves can be removed easily. Let the cabbage boil for at least five minutes. After that, the leaves will pull away easily. You can use precooked rice or make it from scratch. Of course, using precooked rice is simpler and faster.
Serve you cabbage rolls up with dinner rolls and your favorite beverage.
For the Filling:
- 8-10 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 beaten egg
- cheese of your choice for toppings
For the Sauce:
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- Servings: 5-6
- Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
(5 / 5)
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and milk. Combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and rice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Cutting deeply at a 45 degree angle, remove the core of the cabbage. Place it in the boiling water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove 8 – 10 leaves. Allow the leaves to cool completely.
- Lay out a cabbage leaf and scoop about 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of the mixture in. Roll it up.
- Pour a layer of sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. Place the cabbage rolls in, side by side, and cover them with the remaining sauce. Place a lid, or a piece of aluminum foil, on the dish. Place it in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and grate your favorite cheese on top. Serve, and enjoy your cabbage rolls.
Share This Recipe