A checkerboard sandwich this is sandwich consisting of two pieces of different colored bread, usually one white and one brown. The content is placed over two pieces of bread. The tops are placed on over the top and it is cut into nine sections. This type of sandwich is usually served up at parties and social gatherings. It is sometimes referred to as a tea sandwich as it is great served up with a Cup of tea or coffee. The funny thing is, it actually does resemble a checkerboard.
In this recipe, I have made two different checkerboards. One is tuna salad and the other is a ham and cheese. Of course, you could make the sandwich of your choice. These two sandwiches, however, are absolutely delicious.
For the tuna sandwich, I use tuna drained and water which makes the sandwich light and a little more healthy. Red bell peppers have always been a favorite of mine, but you can use salary if you wish. the mayo of my choices Hellman’s but Miracle Whip can be used too. For the seasoning, this recipe uses salt and pepper but a little bit of garlic or the spices of your choice will suffice as well.
I use Philadelphia cream cheese, but you can use cheddar or the cheese of your choice. The same applies to the ham and tomatoes. I use cooked hand and Roma tomatoes, but please feel free to use the ham and tomatoes of your choice. In terms of the dip, I use a Mayo and Mayo Dijon mustard dip. For the latter dip, I have placed the recipe below.
Let me share this with you, believe me, your party guests will love it. Just a little secret, I usually make these for myself as a snack. They can be made the night before and kept in the fridge.Video:
- For the sandwich covering:
- 4 pieces of Brown bread
- 4 pieces of white bread
- For the tuna sandwich:
- one can of drained tuna - about 220 grams
- ¼ Cup of mayo
- 2 tablespoons of red Bell Peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sweet green relish
- a pinch of salt in ground black pepper
- A squeeze of fresh lemon which is about an eighth of a teaspoon
- For the ham and cheese sandwich:
- Four slices of white bread
- four slices of Brown bread
- ¼ Cup of Philadelphia cream cheese at room temperature
- Four slices of cooked ham or deli ham
- 8 slices of tomato of your choice
- Add the tuna, mayo, red bell peppers, onions, green relish, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Place the tuna salad onto two slices of bread and spread it out evenly. Place the different color bread slice over the top and cut into nine sections. Turn 4 sections of one sandwich over so you alternate colors.
- Place on a serving plate and set aside.
- Spread the Philadelphia cream cheese over 2 slices of the bread. You can spread it over the white or brown it really doesn't matter.
- Add two slices of ham, followed by the tomatoes, to each slice of bread.
- Follow the same procedure as the tuna fish sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy your checkerboard sandwiches.
- For the Mayo Dijon dip:
- /4 Cup of Mail
- half a teaspoon of Dijon
- quarter teaspoon of horseradish
- Place the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.