Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is one of everybody’s all time favorite comfort foods. I love it in the winter or on cold, rainy days. It can, of course, be served at any time. I enjoy it with a sandwich, crackers, or nice a dinner role..
As always, there are a few extra tips to making this chicken noodle soup. You can use just about any cut of chicken in this recipe: whole chicken, chicken parts, chicken bones, etc. I find the recipe ideal to use up the left over chicken and the chicken carcass from the day before. Nobody can be bothered picking the good, left over chicken off the bones. Boiling it for about an hour is just about perfect. Just make sure the meat is basically falling off the bone. If it’s a whole chicken, you might have to boil it a little longer depending on the size. Of course, you can use as much or as little chicken as you wish. You can use a variety of vegetables in any chicken noodle soup, but I find that celery and carrots work just fine. In terms of the spices, I like the three spice mixture with the salt, pepper, and garlic. You can do some experimenting if you wish.
- your choice of chicken – see the description above
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of thyme
- 1/2 tsp of parsley
- 1/2 tsp of basil
- 1 large carrot, julienne
- 2 – 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 bundles of flat egg noodles
- 1 tbsp of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Servings: 4
- Level: Easy
- Time: 2 hours
- Cuisine: American
(5 / 5)
- Place the chicken in a pot. Pour enough water in to completely cover it. Boil it over medium heat for about an hour. If your using a whole chicken, you might want to leave it a little longer.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and allow it to cool. While the chicken is cooling, run the chicken stock from the pot through a strainer. Using a smaller strainer or spoon, remove any fat or scum remaining on the top of it.
- After the chicken has cooled, remove the remaining meat from the bones using your hands and a fork.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a pot. Add in the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Stir and saute until the onions and garlic are fragrant. Add in the chicken in and give it a quick stir. Add in the basil, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir for a minute or two until everything is well combined and the spices cover the chicken and vegetables. Pour the broth back in – which should be about 5 or 6 cups.
- Increase the heat to medium high, and bring it to a boil. Then, stir it for a minute or two. Reduce the heat to low, place a lid on, and allow it to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add in the egg noodles, turn the heat back up to medium high, and allow the soup to cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft.
- Ladle the chicken noodle soup into a bowl and enjoy.
Share This Recipe