Clam chowder is delicious combination of veggies, spices, and clams. In my opinion, it is the ultimate comfort food. I serve it up on cool days and it is always a hit.
There are a few tips to the recipe. To begin with, I use canned clams because they are handy, but you can use fresh clams if you have access to them. The vegetables are a matter of preference, so feel free to use the veggies or your choice. I garnish the dish with bacon bits, but real bacon can be use too. The green onions add a pop of freshness and flavor, but if you are not a fan, they can be left out.Video:
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 large stock of diced celary
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cups of chopped cooked clams with juices - 142 grams each
- 6 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 4 small potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of butter for saute
- green onions and bacon bits for garnish
- Melt the butter in a pan and add in the carrots, onions, and potatoes. Saute until they are tender crisp.
- Add in the flour and stir until a roux forms.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the juices of the clams.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Place the clams and cream in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the clams are heated through.
- Garnish with the green onions and bacon bits.