Coconut Curry Chickpea
Coconut curry chickpeas is a simple and delicious combination of chickpeas, coconut milk, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, curry, and other traditional spices. When the dish comes together, it is wonderfully aromatic and delicious. It makes a great midweek meal due to being simple and quick. I is also vegan and healthy as it has not meat.
In this recipe, we use tomatoes, they are not really traditional nor necessary in the dish, but they add extra taste and texture. You can use any type of tomato you wish, as long as they are ripe.
The chickpeas can be found in just about any grocery store, and any brand will do. Just make sure you drain them before cooking or the recipe will be too watery.
As far as the spices go, I find the given amounts create a nice balance, but you can use as much or as little as you like. The same applies to the garlic, onion, and ginger.
The dish is great served up over hot rice. Basmati rice is the best but any type can be used.
Give our coconut curry chickpea a try and let us know what you think.Video:
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 540 ml can of chickpeas, strained
- 2 tsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of garam marsala
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro
- Add some oil to a pan. Put the onion, garlic, and ginger in, and saute it over medium high heat for a couple of minutes or until it is fragrant.
- Put the curry, garam marsala, salt, and pepper in. Cook for a minute or two until the spices activate.
- Place the tomatoes in and cook them for a minute or two.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add in the chickpeas, and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Squeeze or pour in the lemon juice and stir.
- Serve it up beside a dish of hot rice, garnish with fresh cilantro, and serve.
- Enjoy your coconut curry chickpeas.