Coconut Lemon Macaroons
Coconut lemon macaroons are so simplistic, yet so delicious. They are made from 5 simple ingredients which you can get just about anywhere. They make a great finger food for just about any event. People of any age will simply love them. As always, give them a try and let us know how they come out.
There are a few pointers to making these simple and delicious coconut lemon macaroons. First, this recipe will give you about 25 to 30 macaroons. I use a 2 tbsp ice cream scoop. You could also use a spoon. If you want more, double the recipe. If you want less, cut the recipe in half. I find the zest from half a medium size lemon is perfect. You can use the entire lemon if you want a super lemon flavor. It’s important to use only the yellow part on the outside of the lemon. If you grate too deeply, they will become bitter. My oven bakes them beautifully in about 12 minutes, but all ovens vary, so watch them carefully. You want a nice light golden brown on top and a little darker around the sides and bottom.Video:
- 400 grams (14 oz) of coconut flakes
- zest from ½ lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 200 ml (7 oz or ½ cup) of sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 325 F. or 170 C.
- In a mixing bowl combine the coconut flakes, salt, condensed milk, and lemon zest together. Using a spatula, mix until they are well combined. You will get a pasty texture.
- Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Using an electric mixer or whisk, whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add the egg white mixture to the the coconut mixture. Mix until everything until it's well incorporated.
- Line a baking try with some parchment paper. You might have to use two trays depending on their size.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop up some of the mixture and place it on the parchment paper. Repeat this until you have used all of the mixture.
- Place the baking tray(s) in the oven for about 12 minutes. Ovens do vary, however, so keep an eye on them. You want them a light golden brown on top and a deeper brown around the edges and bottom.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy your coconut lemon macaroons.