Crispy and Spicy Tofu
Crispy and spicy tofu is fast, delicious, and healthy. It makes an excellent appetizer or even a main meal if your diet conscious. I enjoy it for my meatless Wednesday. For dietary reasons, I always try to have 2 or 3 meatless days a week. The dish does contain some calories due to the mayonnaise and oyster sauce, but not enough to worry about. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
As with all recipes, there are some variations and alterations you can do to when making the crispy and spicy tofu. First, any type of tofu can be used as it comes in different levels of firmness. I would not use soft, however, as it will become too mushy. Firm works the best because it dices up nicely and becomes crisp. As always, the better the brand, the better the dish will be.
One jalapeno is usually sufficient, but two or more can be added depending on your tolerance for spicy food. If you’re one of those people who cannot stomach spices, you can leave them out or substitute them for another vegetable such as green or red peppers. The same concept applies to the onion, garlic, and ginger. In other words, add as much, or as little, of the spices as you wish.
The mayonnaise and oyster sauce gives the crisp and spicy tofu its richness and creaminess. The recipe suggests, what I think, is the perfect blend. But, again, more or less can be added to suit the taste of your audience. Be sure to use your favorite brands, as it will make a big difference in the outcome of the dish.Video:
- 1 tbsp of butter for frying
- 1 tbsp of olive oil for frying
- 500 grams of extra firm tofu, diced
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- ¼ cup of mayo
- Melt the butter in a preheated pan over medium high heat. Add in the olive oil which will prevent the butter from burning.
- Add in the diced tofu and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp. This should take approximately seven to ten minutes.
- Put the onion, jalapeno, ginger, and garlic in. Saute them for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Now, add in the oyster sauce and mayo. Stir and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your crispy and spicy tofu.
Share This Recipe