A few years ago while strolling around Cuba, I stopped at a small restaurant and ordered a Cuban sandwich. Beyond the word of a doubt, it was simply to die for. When I got home, I began the quest of replicating this delicious piece of art and have made the sandwiches consistently since then. They are great served up for either lunch or dinner. Another idea is to slice them thinly and serve them as a finger food at parties and social gatherings.
There are a few tips to making an incredible Cuban sandwich. First, pulled pork, roast pork, or fried pork can be used when making the sandwich. I recently did a roast on the BBQ and it was delicious on the sandwich. I find a nice, smoked pulled pork is awesome too.
I use ciabatta bread on my sandwich, but any soft top bread can be used. For the best and most authentic results, use real Cuban bread. It is, however, often difficult to find.
You can use cooked or deli ham on the sandwich. As with all of the layers, you can lay it on as thick as you wish.
I have to mention though, try and get high quality ingredients such as pickles and Swiss cheese because it will make the world of difference. Also, don’t substitute ingredients, such as cheddar instead of Swiss, as it simply won’t taste right.
Lastly, If you don’t have a grill or panini press, you can fry the sandwich in a skillet or pan with some weight on the top.Video:
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 large dill pickles sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 loaf of ciabatta, cut in half
- 4 slices of ham
- 4 large slices of pork roast
- 3 tbsp of yellow mustard or more
- On the bottom piece of ciabatta, lay on the ham, pork, dill pickle, and Swiss cheese. Spread the yellow mustard over the top piece and place it on the sandwich. Butter outside of the sandwich (if you are using skillet). Otherwise, coat grill with baking spray.
- Place on a grill or in a pan and fry or grill until the sandwich is heated through and golden brown. If you are using a pan, it is best to place some weight on the top.
- Serve and enjoy your Cuban sandwich.
Share This Recipe