Eggplant Parmesan is a great alternative to traditional lasagna. The wonderful thing is it’s meatless, so it makes a great vegan meal. I always make it up when I have guests vegetarian guests coming over.
You can apply a few variations to this dish. I like to use a combination of Parmesan and mozzarella. You can use your favorite cheeses, however. For example, cheddar would work fine, as well. We use a round egg plant in this recipe, but the long egg plant would work fine , as well.
- 8-10 large round eggplant cut in ¼ inch slices
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup flour
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- fresh chopped basil
- For the sauce:
- 500 g spaghetti or pasta sauce
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Make the sauce by adding olive oil in a saucepan. Put in the garlic and saute until fragrant. Pour in pasta sauce season with the basil. Stir and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile, slice the eggplant into ¼ inch thick slices. Dredge them in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or pot to about 300 degrees F over medium heat Fry the eggplant, in batches, for about 2 and a half minutes on each side they are until golden brown. Set them aside on a plate.
- Spread a generous amount of sauce onto the bottom of a baking dish. I use a 7 X 10 baking dish. Place the eggplant in and allow them to overlap each other. Then, spread a layer of sauce and cheese over the top. Repeat the process for as many layers as you like.
- On the last layer, finish it off by adding more cheese on top and some fresh chopped basil.
- Bake the dish in a 350 F preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy your eggplant Parmesan!