Fast and Easy Cherry Turnovers
These cherry turnovers are so easy to make. What makes them so fast is the fact that you can buy the cherry pie filling and puff pastry in the grocery store so there is no additional fuss or muss. The most difficult part is allowing the pastry to thaw. I often make them up for dinner parties and they are great for afternoon tea or coffee. Believe me, your family and friends will love them.
I use pistachios in the recipe, but it is entirely up to you. You can use walnuts or pecans or leave the nuts out completely. I just like the additional crunch added to the turnovers. In this recipe, we simply dust the top of the cherry turnovers with confectioner’s sugar, but a glaze could be made up as well. Both add a touch more sweetness to the dish as I find the pie filling is not quite sweet enough for a dessert. A bit of sugar could also be added to the cherry pie filling too.
Give them a try and let us know what you think of our cherry pie turnovers.Watch the Video:
- 1 package of puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 can of cherry pie filling - about 540 ml
- 1 pack of pistachios, crushed
- 1 to 2 tbsp of confectioner's sugar
- Cut the puff pastry into 8 pieces. There are usually 2 rolls to a pack with will give you 4 each for a total of 8.
- Make the egg wash by combining the egg and milk in a bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F or 190 C.
- Brush the edges of each piece of puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Scoop 1½ - 2 tbsp of pie filling into the centre if the pastry. Sprinkle some pistachios over the top.
- Fold one edge toward the other so you form a triangle. Seal the edges with your fingers.
- Place the turnovers in the oven for about 20 minutes until they are golden brown and puffy.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and, using a good sharp knife, gently make some small slits in the middle to release any air while they bake.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Allow them to cool a little and sprinkle some sugar over the top.
- Serve and enjoy your cherry pie turnovers.