Filipino Buko Pandan
Buko pandan is now a famous salad in the Philippines. This originated from Bohol. Because of its unique taste and attractive green color, it has captured the eyes and taste buds of every Filipino. Today, it is served during Fiestas and other special occasions. There are two types of gulaman (jello) in the Philippines you may want to use. One is an old gulaman bar and the other is a gulaman powder. Both of these are diluted in boiling water. In this recipe, we used gulaman powder. You may wish to top this with tapioca pearl or ice cream.
One of the major problems with making this dessert is finding pandan leaves, which are an essential, ingredient. There are obviously no pandan leaves available outside the Philippines. Fortunately, pandan flavoring is now available in many Asian stores. It is commonly sold in a small bottle. In light of this, don’t worry if you don’t have any pandan on hand, you can still make the dish. Make sure the jello is green and it will still closely resemble traditional Buko pandan.
- 6-7 Buko or young coconut grated
- 2 all purpose cream or whipped cream
- 1 can (300 ml)condensed milk
- 5 pandan leaves (washed and cleaned)
- 1 pouch gulaman powder (jello powder 24 g) or 2 bars green gulaman
- 3 drops drops green food color for white jello powder only
- 4 cups water
- sugar to taste
- Servings: 5
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
(5 / 5)
- Soak pandan leaves with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes. Turn off heat. Remove pandan leaves.
- Pour in jello powder and add sugar to sweeten. Stir until dissolved. Stir continuously over medium heat until the mixture is close to a boil. Turn off heat and transfer into a preferred mold or container.(if you are using white jello powder, you may add 3 drops of green food color to the mixture).
- Place in the fridge for a few minutes, let it cool and until it becomes firm. Cut the jello into cubes. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, mix the grated buko with condensed milk, jello, and all purpose cream. Add some sugar according to taste.
- Chill and serve. Enjoy!
Share This Recipe