Filipino Leche Flan
Leche Flan is a creamy famous Filipino custard , top with caramelized sugar. The dish consists mainly of egg yolks and, milk; usually steamed into any desired shape. This is commonly served at festive occasions such as birthdays, fiestas, and New Year’s Eve. It makes a perfect party dessert and become of the most popular dessert in the country. Using only the egg yolks can make the leche flan smooth in texture and more tastier. However, whole eggs will do. It is depend on your preferences but expect the texture is different. Llanera (a metal oval shape) is an old molder we used in the Philippines, however you can used any molder you have at home. It can be an aluminum molder, or baking molder as long as you can use it for steaming. Traditionally, leche flan cooked by steaming, but it can also be cook in oven. Although it is rarely seen, cooking in oven is less hassle. It takes longer time to cook in oven however. To ensure your flan is cooked, test it with a toothpick after 30 minutes. For other flavor of this, you may also like mocha flan. A leche flan that has mocha flavor.
- 8 pcs egg yolks
- 300 ml condensed milk
- 370 ml evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- lemon zest (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar for caramel
- 3/4 cup water for caramel
- Servings: 4
- Time: 50 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
(5 / 5)
- Put sugar and water into a pan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium low heat until sugar caramelizes or desired thickness reached. Pour evenly into the bottom of the mold. Set aside.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks using hand or egg white separator. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- In a mixing bowl combine, egg yolks, vanilla, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Whisk thoroughly until well blended. Do not over mixed as it will give more air bubbles to the mixture.
- Strain the mixture over the top of the caramelized sugar. Fill the mold about 1 and 1/4 inches high. Cover mold individually with aluminum foil.
- Steam for at least 35 minutes or until set. Alternatively, baking is an optional. Place the molder into a larger baking pan half filled with water. Alternatively, preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for at least 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the flan to cool completely.
- To serve. Run a knife around the edges of the mold. Place a platter on top and quickly turn it upside down.
- Chill, serve and enjoy!
Share This Recipe