French Onion Chicken
French onion chicken is a spin off of French onion soup. It is made with a superb combination of onions, chicken breasts, beef stock, and spices. The outcome is out of this world. When I served this up at a dinner party, my guests when crazy and begged me for the recipe.
You can change the recipe in several ways. First off, you do not have to use chicken, as beef can be used too. I love beef stock, but chicken stock or vegetable stock can be used as well. Swiss cheese is great, but you can use the cheese of your choice.
Give our French onion chicken a try and let us know what you think.Video:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 and ½ large onions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp of thyme, divided
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 and ½ cups of beef broth
- 3 large slices of Swiss cheese
- oil for frying
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Add some oil to a pan and place the chicken breast in. Allow them to cook for about 3 minutes on each side until they are no longer pink. Remove and set aside to rest.
- Place the butter and oil in the same pan followed by the onions.
- Cook them until they are browned.
- Add in flour and cook until a roux forms.
- Add in the beef stock, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring it to a boil.
- Put the chicken back in, reduce the heat, and allow it to simmer about 15 to 20 minutes. Stirring and spooning the juice over the chicken.
- Place the cheese on, cover, and allow to simmer until the cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy your French Swill chicken.