Ginataang manok is a chicken stew simmered in coconut milk and spices. An all time favorite ingredient of Filipinos is coconut milk. Locals often call it “Gata” or Ginataan; this makes the dish more fragrant, tasty and exotic. Vegetables are optional. If you choose to use vegetables, you can use any type depending on your preferences. You may want to add papaya, carrots, bokchoy or malunngay leaves. You can also other variations of ginataang manok on this site, such as adobong manok sa gata and pininyahang manok. Give it a try and let us know the outcome.
- 1/2 kilo Chicken meat (any part)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bundle spinach
- 1 thumb size ginger chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
(3.5 / 5)
- Add cooking oil In a preheated pan. Fry chicken meat until light brown on all sides. Set aside.
- Add new cooking oil in a pan. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant.
- Put the fried chicken back in and add red bell pepper. Stir for a few minutes until combined.
- Pour in coconut milk and Bring to a boil. Simmer over medium low heat for at least 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- When chicken meat is tender, add the spinach. Salt and pepper to taste. Soak spinach for few minutes until soft. Turn off heat.
Share This Recipe