Homemade Beef Shawarma
Homemade Beef Shawarma is incredibly delicious and succulent. The dish is a popular Middle Eastern or Mediterranean sandwich made with lamb and tahini sauce. It is often served with Pita bread. Lamb is the traditional filling for this sandwich. It is commonly seen on a rotisserie and found in any Arabic fast food restaurant. It is also sold by many street vendors. Shawarma is truly addictive, and my whole family loves this dish. We actually don’t even look at the price when we order it; it is a relatively expensive snack, but it is filling and delicious.
Because lamb is not often available in the Philippines, beef is a great substitute. Chicken and turkey will do, as well. In this recipe, we use 7 spices. They are commonly sold in one container at an Asian store. If you can’t find it, you can make it easily from scratch. We explain this process in another blog about the 7 Arabic spices. We also use pita bread as a wrapper because this dish is perfect with this bread. If you are wondering what pita bread is, or how to make it, you can read our blog on how to make pita bread. However, flour tortillas will do in a pinch, but they re thinner and lighter.
Traditionally, tahini sauce is the most popular dressing for shawarma. It can be made at home. If you want to find out how to make this, read our blog on how to make tahini sauce. Now, people has different taste buds. If you find tahini sauce isn’t the taste and texture that you want, you can simply use the condiment of your choice. For example, mayonnaise or ketchup can be used. I added chili sauce to ours which made it quite spicy and tasty. If you decide to make homemade beef shawarma, make sure that you make it ahead of time because the preparation of the sandwich is a little lengthy and time consuming.
- 1 lb beef thinly sliced strips
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 loves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Arabic 7 spices or all spice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- tahini sauce
- chili sauce (if you want spicy)
- Pita Bread
- tomatoes chopped
- cucumber chopped
- onion chopped
- cabbage julienne (optional)
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 2 hours
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: Arabic
(4 / 5)
- Marinate beef with onions, garlic, 7 spices, olive oil, lemon juice and salt for at least 4 hour (overnight is preferred).
- After marinating, place the beef in a baking tray and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 400 degrees for at least 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the foil and drain the juices. Place it back in oven uncovered and bake for another 12-15 minutes (until it is nicely browned). Remove from oven and allow to cool down for few minutes.
- Evenly distribute the beef in the middle of middle Pita bread. Add the toppings and tahini sauce. You can also add chili sauce if you want spicy shawarma.
- Heat before serving and Enjoy!
Share This Recipe