Homemade Salt and Vinegar Potato chips
Homemade salt and vinegar potato chips are simple and delicious. This recipe stemmed out of requests from our original potato chips recipe. Views and readers wanted to know how to make salt and vinegar chips at home. The great thing about this recipe is, you know what’s going into your potato chips instead of the unknown ingredients and chemicals in the ones you get in stores. Give the recipe a try, and let us know what you think.
As with all of our recipes, there are a few variations to making these tasty potato chips.
First, we suggest 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 tbsp of salt. If you want more of a salt and vinegar bite, simply add a little more of each to the solution. If you want the taste toned down a bit, add less. You can also use different types of vinegar, such as malt, to achieve a slightly different taste.
We use white potatoes in the recipe, but you can use russet or whatever potatoes you like. I cut them up with a slicer, but the same results can be achieved with a sharp knife. It’s important to slice them fairly thin, however.
You can serve the chips up with the dip of your choice. I like to add a dusting of salt and pepper and dip them in ketchup. This is especially nice when they are hot.Video:
- 3 medium size potatoes, sliced thinly
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tbsp of salt
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- oil for frying
- Place the potato slices into a bowl of cold water and swoosh them around using your hands. Rinse them well in a colander. The purpose of this is to get the starch out.
- Add the water, salt, and vinegar to a mixing bowl. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Put the potato slices in and allow them to soak for 30 minutes.
- Take the potatoes out and put them on a paper towel. Place another paper towel over the top and pat them dry.
- Heat your oil to about 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C.
- Put the chips in and fry them for about 3 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Place the chips on a wire rack and allow the oil to drain off.
- Serve and enjoy your homemade salt and vinegar potato chips.
Share This Recipe