Lemon cookies are super simple to make and delicious. Made with a delightful combination of fresh lemon juice and zest, they have a tremendous natural flavor to them. They are a soft, chewy cookie which is one of my all time favorites. I really enjoy them with a nice cup of tea, coffee or glass of milk.
There are a few baking tips to making these tasty lemon cookies. First, I find the juice from one lemon is about perfect. If you want them more or less lemony, simple adjust the amount of juice accordingly.
The zest from one lemon is about perfect form my liking. Just be careful not to zest too far into the lemon as it will become bitter. You only want the zest from the shiny part of the skin.
I add a few drops of yellow food coloring to make them bright yellow. This is totally optional, however.
The amount of sugar can be altered too. Just be careful not to over power the lemon flavor with too much sugar.
Give our lemon cookies a try. As always, let us know what you think.Video:
- 1½ cups of all purpose flour
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 drops of yellow food coloring
- ½ of powdered sugar for dredging
- Preheat your oven to 350 F or 177 C.
- Put the all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and food coloring. Beat until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture, half at a time, to the wet mixture. Beat until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least one hour.
- After an hour, using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop out about a heaping tablespoon of the mixture. Place it in the palm of you hand and roll it into a ball. Put it in the icing sugar and roll it around until it is completely coated.
- Set it on a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Repeat this process for the remaining batter.
- Put the cookies in the oven and bake them for 13 to 14 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and put them on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve and enjoy your lemon cookies.