Molo Soup (Pancit Molo)
Molo soup is a rich Filipino dish made from ground pork wrapped in a Wanton wrapper, simmered and cooked with chicken stock, shrimps, and shredded chicken. It is adopted from the Chinese recipe “Dinsum” and has become one of the popular soups in the Philippines. It is perfect for cold, rainy days. You will notice this dish is different from other types of pancit recipes which typically use long string noodles. This dish uses a wonton wrapper. Wonton wrappers are similar to egg noodles but differ in their shape and use. The process in making it is somewhat similar to making siomai. Whether it’s hot or cold, this dish will satisfy your hungry appetite.
- 1/3 kg chicken, boiled and shredded
- 1 pack wonton wrappers or siomai wrappers
- 1/2 kg ground pork
- 1/4 cup green or spring onions, chopped finely
- 1/4 kg medium size shrimp, deveined and shelled
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp of butter or cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 cups water (amount optional)
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino, Chinese
(4 / 5)
- Boil the water in pot. Place in the chicken. Cover and simmer it over low heat for at least 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove and shred it into strips. Keep the stock.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, onions, soy sauce, beaten egg, and pepper. Mix until everything is well combined. Set it aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the filling from the fridge. Scoop up about 1 tablespoonful of filling and place it into the center of Molo wrapper. Seal all the edges by brushing them with egg wash – a combination off egg and water. You can also use plain water. Fold all the edges up tightly. The should be basically the same shape as siomai. Repeat the procedure for the remaining mixture.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Saute the onions and garlic until they are fragrant. Add in the shredded chicken, and saute it until it turns light brown. Season it with some pepper and salt.
- Place the sauteed chicken and shrimp into the pot with chicken broth. Bring it to a boil. Place in the molo balls and allow it to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the molo balls are cooked.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl. Garnish the molo soup with chopped spring onions and toasted garlic. Enjoy!
Share This Recipe