Molo Soup (Pancit Molo)
Molo soup is a rich Filipino dish made of ground pork wrapped in a Wanton wrapper, simmered and cooked with chicken stock, shrimps, and shredded chicken. It is adopted from the Chinese recipe “Dinsum” and has become one of the popular soups in the Philippines. It is perfect for cold, rainy days. You will notice this dish is different from other types of pancit recipes, which typically use, long string noodles. This dish uses a wonton wrapper. Wonton wrappers are similar to egg noodles but differ in their shape and use. The process is somewhat similar to making siomai. Whether it’s hot or cold, this is dish will satisfy your hungry appetite.
- 1/3 kg chicken (boiled and shredded)
- 1 pack wonton wrappers or siomai wrappers
- 1/2 kg ground pork
- 1/4 cup green or spring onions, (chopped finely)
- 1/4 kg medium size shrimp, deveined and shelled
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp. butter or cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3-4 cups water (amount optional)
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino, Chinese
(4 / 5)
- Boil water in pot. Place in chicken meat. Cover and simmer over low heat at least 20 minutes or until chicken is tender; remove and shred into strips. Keep the stock.
- In a mixing bowl combine ground pork, onions, soy sauce, beaten egg, and pepper. Mix until well combined. Set aside in the fridge at least 30 minutes.
- Remove filling from fridge, scoop about 1 tablespoonful of filling and place into the center of Molo wrapper. Seal all edges by brushing them with eggwash (combination off egg and water) or water. Fold all the edges up tightly. Repeat procedure for the remaining mixture.
- Melt butter in a pan. Saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add in shredded chicken, saute until light brown. Season with some pepper and salt.
- Place the sauteed chicken and shrimp into the pot with chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Place in Molo balls and allow to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until molo balls are cooked.
- Serve in a soup bowl; garnish with chopped spring onions and toasted garlic. Enjoy!
Share This Recipe