Pancit Palabok is a distinct Filipino recipe and is one of the varieties of pancit; sometimes referred to as pancit luglug. In English, palabok means garnished or spiced. It consists of rice noodles, thick sauce, and a variety of toppings such as boiled egg, pork skin, tinapa flakes and more. The more toppings you have the more pleasing to the eye and appetizing. In this recipe, we made the sauce from scratch. The annatto oil and shrimp stock are very important in making the sauce. To make the shrimp stock, you can dilute 1 shrimp bouillon in hot water. Alternatively, the natural way is boiling the shrimp head and keeping the stock from it. However, if you don’t have have these on hand, you can use mama sitas powdered mix if you wish. (take note we are not endorsing the product to
anyone). The more natural ingredients you used, the better and healthier.
- 300 g rice stick noodles (pre soak in water at least 1 hour)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 kilo ground pork
- 1 tbsp annatto powder diluted in 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup shrimp stock
- 2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 3 tbsp water
- fish sauce and pepper to taste
- 1 cup tinapa flakes
- 1 cup small shrimp deveined
- 300 g tofu fried and cubed
- 2 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed chicharon
- 1/4 cup spring onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- lemon or calamansi wedges
- Servings: 4
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
(5 / 5)
- For Sauce: Preheat pan and add cooking oil. Place in ground pork and fry until light brown. Season with fish sauce and pepper. Pour diluted annatto powder and shrimp stock. Bring to a boil. Add diluted corn starch and continuously mix until sauce thickens. Set aside.
- For toppings: Heat cooking oil in a pan and fry garlic until brown. Add smoked fish and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and fry for few minutes. Set aside. Fry tofu until brown, cut in cubes and set aside.
- For noodles: Pre soaked rice stick noodles in warm water at least 1 hour. Blanch rice stick noodles in boiling water for at least 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Preparation: Place the blanched noodles on a platter and pour the palabok sauce over them. Garnish with sauteed tinapa and shrimp, tofu, crushed chicharon, spring onions, hard boil egg and calamansi on the side.
- Serve and enjoy!
Share This Recipe