Pineapple Upside Down Cake Made Easy
Pineapple upside cake is outrageously delicious. The recipe is simplified so it can be made in less than an hour. It makes a great dessert for when friends suddenly announce they are coming for dinner. It’s a great midweek dessert, as well. As always, give it a try and let us know what you think.
There are a few tips to making this delicious pineapple upside down cake. First, I always use the canned pineapple rings. If you want to use fresh pineapple, by all means do so. If you want it sweeter, go ahead and add a little more sugar. A few drops of vanilla extract is a nice touch, as well. I always place a baking tray under the pan as the sugar often bubbles up, runs over, and makes a mess of your oven. The cakes keeps nicely for a couple of days. I would recommend leaving it out on a cake tray at room temperature. If you put it in the fridge, the edges tend to get really hard and crunchy.Video:
- For the Glaze and Topping:
- ¼ cup of melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- 7 pineapple rings
- 7 cherries
- For the Cake Mix:
- 1¾ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ cup of softened butter
- ¾ cup of white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of pineapple juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Put the melted butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk until a smooth and silky mixture forms. Place it into the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan and smooth it out evenly using a spatula.
- Place the pineapple rings over it and the cherries into the center of the rings.
- Put the softened butter and white sugar into a separate mixing bowl and whisk them together.
- Add in the eggs and whisk. Pour in pineapple juice and whisk until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk once again until well combined and the batter is lump free. You can use electric mixer if you like.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple rings and smooth it out with a spatula. Place it on a baking tray.
- Put it in the oven and allow it to bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Using a sharp knife cut around the edges of the cake pan to ensure it doesn't stick. Place a plate over the top and flip it over. Give it a few taps and remove the cake pan.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy your pineapple upside down cake.