Potatoes and Sweet Corn Casserole
Potatoes and sweet corn casserole is fast, easy, and delicious. It is especially great when corn is in season. The entire dish can be made in about 45 minutes which makes it a great midweek side dish. I particularly enjoy it served up with ham. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
As always, there are a few additional tips to making this dish. You can use just about any type of potato, but I usually use russets or white potatoes simply because they are two of my favorites. As I said, the dish is great when corn is in season. If sweet corn is out of season or simply not available, canned corn can be used, as well. You can use as many onions as you like. I just don’t like to use too much as they tend to overpower the flavor of the corn. The amount of salt and pepper used is a personal preference too. If you’re a garlic lover, by all means add more. Baking the casserole for 25 to 30 minutes seems to be optimal. Ovens vary, however, so adjust your baking time accordingly. Again, let us know if you enjoy our sweet corn and potato casserole.Video:
- 4 medium size potatoes, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- ½ a medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tbsp of olive oil for frying
- 1½ cups of fresh sweet or canned corn
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 4 tbsp of bread crumbs
- 100 to 200 grams or 1 or 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the potatoes fairly thin and cut them in half again so they fry faster.
- Pour the olive oil into a preheated pan over medium high heat. Add in the onions and garlic and saute them for two or three minutes just until the onions change color. Put the potatoes in, season them with salt and pepper, and stir and fry them for 5 or 6 minutes until they are crisp tender. Set them aside in a mixing bowl, add the corn in, and mix well.
- Coat a baking dish with some baking spray, transfer the potatoes in, and level them out with a spoon.
- Combine the melted butter and bread crumbs in a mixing bowl. Mix until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Grate the cheddar cheese over the potatoes and spoon the bread crumb mixture over the cheese.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your sweet corn and potato casserole.