Red Velvet Crinkles
Red velvet crinkles are simple and delicious. They are great any time of the year, but they are such a nice treat at Valentines. Believe me, they will be an instant hit.
There are a few tips to this recipes. As always, you can increase or decrease the amount of sugar used depending on your sweet tooth. You can get away with leaving the dough set for about 4 hours, but it’s really best to leave it in the fridge overnight. The crinkles can be made as big or as little as you like, but I find a heaping teaspoon makes a nice size cookie. Leaving them in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes will give you a fairly soft cookie. If you want them a little crunchier, let them bake for another few minutes. It’s really important to let them cool for 30 minutes or so; otherwise, they will be really difficult to work with.
For the Cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of confectioners
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of red food coloring
For the filling:
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) of cream cheese
- 3 tbsp of confectioners sugar
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of milk
- Yield: 12-14
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Advanced
- Cuisine: American
(5 / 5)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a bowl. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, add the sugar, cocoa, vegetable oil, and an egg. Whisk for 20 to 30 seconds. Add the second egg and whisk again. Add in the third egg, vanilla extract, red food coloring and whisk once again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix for a minute or two until they are combined and there are no lumps of flour, but don’t over mix it. Place some cling wrap over the top and allow it to sit in the fridge for about 4 hours to set – overnight is preferred.
- Scoop up a heaping teaspoon of the mixture, place it in the palm of your hand, roll it into a ball, and roll it in the confectioners sugar. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat the process for the rest of the mixture.
- Make the filling by combing the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, and milk in a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix until they are well combined and creamy.
- Bake the crinkles, in batches, in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Pick up a cookie, turn it upside down, spread some filling over it,, and put another cookie over the top.
- Serve and enjoy your red velvet crinkles with cream cheese filling.