Sausage and Tortellini Soup – Ultimate Comfort Food
Sausage and tortellini soup is the ultimate comfort food. The combination of sausage, vegetables, and spices are simply out of this world. There is nothing better, in terms of a comfort food, than soup on a rainy or cold day. There is just something about it that warms the soul. I always serve my soup up with some garlic bread. Fresh dinner rolls are so nice too. It is something your family and friends will love. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Of course, you can alter many of the ingredients to suit your liking. For example, I use sweet Italian sausage, but you can use hot or the sausage of your choice. If you use your favourite sausage, it will make the world of difference. The spices you can change as well. If you are a garlic lover, add more. If you think the Italian seasoning is on the heavy side, back it off a bit.
I always serve my tortellini and sausage soup with Parmesan cheese and garnish it with parsley, but it is entirely up to you. I just think it adds that extra touch.Watch the Sausage and Tortellini Soup Video:
- 300 grams of sweet Italian sausage or the sausage of your choice
- 300 grams of precooked rainbow tortellini
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- 500 grams or 1 can of white beans
- 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium size chopped tomatoes
- Add some oil to a pan over medium high heat. Place the sausage in and fry for about 5 minutes until heated through and browned. Set it aside on a plate.
- Add the butter to a large pot and melt down.
- Put the carrots in followed by the celery, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the carrots begin to tenderize.
- Pour the chicken stock in.
- Add in the white beans, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil.
- Put the sausage back in followed by the tomatoes, and tortellini. Stir, cover, and allow to simmer for 8 or 9 minutes until the tortellini is cooked.
- Ladle into a bowl, spread some Parmesan over the top, and garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy your sausage and tortellini soup.