Savory Stuffed Tomatoes
Stuffed tomatoes are a delicious beef steak tomato with the tops cut off and the flesh removed. They are then stuffed with a combination of Italian sausage, or the sausage of your choice, onion, minced garlic, pepper, rice, and mozzarella cheese. Extra ingredients can be added to the stuffing if you wish. For example, bell peppers and mushrooms would not go amiss. Lastly the tomatoes are topped with a butter, bread crumb, and mozzarella mixture. Pop these back into the oven for a few minutes to brown and heat, garnish with some fresh parsley, and you are ready for a delicious treat.
One thing that I do have to mention is that tomatoes are an excellent dietary source as they are incredibly good for you.
As I mentioned, I use beef steak tomatoes, but you can use the tomato of your choice. Just make sure they are large and rather firm. If you decide to use a smaller tomato, they might be best served as a snack or appetizer rather than a main course. They are also best when in season. The flesh you remove can be discarded or used to make sauce. I will do a recipe for this in the future.
Believe me, as always, your family and friends will love them. Let us know what you think.Video:
- 3 large beef steak tomatoes
- 3 sausages with casing removed
- ½ of a small chopped onion
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 cup of pre-cooked rice
- pepper to taste
- For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- ½ cup of panko bread crumbs or the bread crumb of your choice
- ¼ cup of mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 350 F 177 C.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and remove the flesh. Set them aside on a dish sprayed with baking spray or butter.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Place the sausages in, break them up, and fry them until browned.
- Put the onion in and fry until it is translucent. Add in the garlic and fry for a minute or so until fragrant. Then place the rice and pepper in, stir and cook until heated through.
- Spoon the mixture into each tomato.
- Add the butter, bread crumbs, and mozzarella to a bowl and mix until well combined. Spread the topping over the mixture.
- Place the tomatoes into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the bread crumbs are browned.
- Serve and enjoy your stuffed tomatoes.