Scotch eggs originated in the United Kingdom and spread to other parts of the world. They are a delicious combination of a soft or hard boiled egg covered in sausage and dredged in flour, egg, and bread crumbs which makes a complete breakfast. I have them at least once a month.
The recipe does have a few alterations. To begin with, the egg can be soft or hard boiled depending on your preference. I prefer them soft, but it is entirely up to you.
We use mild Italian sausage in the recipe, but that too, is a matter of preference. I have also used my homemade burger recipe which turns out delicious. Use the sausage or meat of your choice.
We use Panko bread crumbs as they are larger, but any brand of crumbs can be used.
In this recipe, I find that the sausage provides enough seasoning but the flour or bread crumbs can have additional seasoning, as well.Video:
- 4 eggs boiled in water for 6 minutes, put into an ice bath, and peeled
- 4 large mild Italian sausages with the casings removed
- 2 beaten eggs
- Heat your oil to 350 degrees F or 177 C.
- Spread the sausages out so they resemble a hamburger shape and place the egg in the centre. Carefully, spread the sausage over the egg until it is totally covered.
- Dredge the eggs in the flour, egg mixture, and bread crumbs.
- Fry them, in batches, for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve and enjoy your Scotch eggs.
Share This Recipe