Special Sizzling Gambas
Sizzling gambas is made with a combination of shrimp and vegetables. It is referred to as sizzling because it is usually served on a sizzling plate, smoking hot and spicy. It can be a main dish, appetizer, or beer match (pulutan). This dish is spicy and is often served in many restaurants in the Philippines. You can also use prawns if you wish. Adding tomato sauce to make the dish rich and thick is one of the variation. In this recipe, we just use tomatoes.
You can adjust the spiciness according to your taste. We used cayenne pepper for our hot spice, however you can use whatever you have on hand such as hot chili sauce, hot pepper sauce, or chili powder. To ensure your kids will be able to eat this, you can omit or cut back on the amount of cayenne pepper. If you want to make something different using shrimp. Give this recipe a try. It is truly appetizing, healthy, and easy to make.
- 1/2 kilo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green and red bell pepper, cut in cubes
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking wine (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika (optional)
- 2 green chili pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter for sizzling plate
- olive oil or cooking oil
- Servings: 2
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino, Spanish
(5 / 5)
- In a mixing bowl, season shrimps with oyster sauce, cooking wine, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper . Mix until well combined.
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. Saute onion, garlic, tomatoes until fragrant. Add in bell peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Place in shrimp. Stir for a few minutes or until shrimp change it color to pink. Do not overcook shrimp. Turn off heat. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Heat sizzling plate; add in the butter. Place in cooked gambas and top with chopped chilis.
- Serve and enjoy!
Share This Recipe