Spinach Tomato Mac and Cheese
Spinach tomato mac and cheese is so simple to make, yet it’s delicious and relatively healthy. It’s a nice variation to run of the mill mac and cheese or Kraft dinner. It’s also a great way of sneaking some healthy ingredients into the kid’s favourite dishes. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
There are a few variations and tips to this recipe. First, we make the mac and cheese from scratch, but you can by Kraft dinner in the box if you wish. The highlight to the recipe is the spinach and tomatoes, but you can add extra ingredients too. You could even add a protein to the dish such as chicken. Elevate this with your favourite spices such as pepper, garlic, hot sauce, etc. We use sharp cheddar in the recipe, but feel free to add your choice of cheese or cheeses for that matter.
- 1½ cups of milk
- 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 3 - 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1½ cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp of bacon bits (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of uncooked macaroni noodles
- In a bowl, combine the milk and flour. Stir until well combined.
- Boil the noodles in salted water for about 9 minutes or follow the package instructions. During the last minute of cooking, add in the spinach. Drain and set it aside.
- Add the milk and flour mixture to a pan and bring it to a boil while stirring continuously. Allow the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Turn the heat off, put the cheese in, and whisk until it melts.
- Add in the macaroni mixture, bacon bits, salt, pepper, or the spices of your choice.
- Using 2 wooden spoons, toss until the noodles are completely coated with the mixture.
- Serve and enjoy your spinach tomato mac and cheese.