Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Sweet potato shepherd’s pie is easy to make and simply delicious. As the entire dish can be made up in about 45 minutes, it makes a great midweek meal. If you have leftovers, it’s a great lunch for the next day too. This is another one of my favorite Wednesday dinners. It’s also great served up at any gathering or party.
There are a few tips or alterations to making the recipe. First, the layer of sweet potato mash can be as thick or as thin as you like. We find using about 4 potatoes is perfect, but it’s totally your call. I keep my mash simple by using a tablespoon of milk and a tablespoon of butter, but I’ve seen other recipes use sugar or maple syrup. You can add this too if you like.
Using lean ground beef lessens the fat content, but any kind or cut of ground beef can be used in the recipe. If you use regular beef, it’s probably best to give it a drain after the initial fry. Make sure you meat is well thawed too.
In terms of the filling, we use frozen vegetables as they are so easy to work with, but if you have fresh veggies on hand, by all means use them. I find the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce add a nice touch. If you want to add more, you certainly can; on the other hand, you can use less or leave them out entirely. Feel free to add your own spices, as well. I don’t add any more than half a cup of beef broth or the dish will become too watery. The flour also really helps to thicken the broth.
Give our sweet potato shepherd’s pie a try and let us know what you think.Video:
- For the Sweet Potato Mash:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of milk
- For the Pie Filling:
- ½ kilo (1½ pounds) of lean ground beef
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 cup of mixed veggies
- ½ cup of beef broth
- 1 tbsp of flour
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat you oven to 375 degrees F or 177 C.
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. This should take about 20 minutes. Add in the butter and milk, Mash them until they potatoes are smooth and creamy. Set them aside.
- Add the ground beef to a pan and fry it, over medium high heat, until browned. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat and put the onions and garlic in. Saute them for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mixed veggies, and the beef broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir and bring to a boil.
- After a boil, add in the flour. Stir and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Add the mixture to an oven dish and smooth it out. Place the sweet potato mash over the top and smooth it out. Take the back of a tablespoon and make some swirls in the mash.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve and enjoy your sweet potato shepherd's pie.
Share This Recipe