Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and sour chicken is a famous Chinese cuisine. It is a great appetizer or main dish. It is commonly made with meat, vegetables, and a sweet and sour sauce. You can actually use any type of meat you have on hand such as pork and beef. The dish is also referred to as “General Tso,” which means: “sweet, deep fried chicken dish.” The recipe is adjustable. You can add more spice if you want. You can also add additional vegetables such as pineapple and broccoli.If you have been to a Chinese Restaurant, you have probably tasted and ordered this dish. It is their specialty and, believe it or not, it is a little on the costly side even for a single order. This is what made us curious, and prompted us ask our Chinese friends for the recipe. Surprisingly, it is a very simple and easy dish to make at home. At first, it may look as if it has a lot of ingredients but, the truth is, you can usually find them in your fridge. If you want to taste some fantastic Chinese food this weekend, there is no need to run out and find a Chinese restaurant. Sweet and sour chicken is super easy and absolutely delicious. Don’t forget to prepare some rice, as it is the perfect side dish.
- 3 medium boneless chicken breast cut into bite size chunks
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 raw egg
- cooking oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ketchup (to taste)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (For thicker sauce, use 2-3 tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup water or chicken stock
- 2 stalks green onion, cubed
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1/2 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Servings: 2-3
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Chinese
(5 / 5)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Adjust according to taste. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into small chunks and set aside in a bowl. Add in the beaten egg and mix until well combined.
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken into a bowl of flour. Make sure it is fully coated.
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. When oil is hot enough, turn to medium heat. Fry the chicken meat in batches until all sides are brown (approximately 3 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, add fresh cooking oil. Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the bell pepper and green onions. Stir and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce in, stir and bring to a boil. After a boil, put the chicken back in. Stir well until the chicken is fully coated with the sauce. (You can separate the sauce and pour it over the chicken if you wish). Turn off heat.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
Share This Recipe