Tomato rice is ever so tasty and easy to prepare. As a result of having an egg over top, I enjoy it for breakfast. It can, however, be served up for lunch or dinner. It also compliments most proteins nicely. The dish goes really well with chicken. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Any type of rice can be used in this recipe. I like whole grain rice, so I usually use it. Try and use a good quality tomato sauce as it will enhance the dish. You can use as much or as little garlic as you like. 3 cloves of garlic in the tomato sauce seems to suffice nicely, however. The same applies to the onions. The amount of salt and pepper can be adjusted according to your liking, as well.Video:
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cloves of whole garlic for rice
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- ½ small chopped onion
- 1½ cups of tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, fried sunny side up
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Add the rice and water to a pot. Put the garlic cloves in, place the lid on, and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, add the onions and chopped garlic into a preheated pan. Saute it over medium heat for a minute or two. Pour in the tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste, and bring it to a boil. Stir until everything is well combined, reduce the heat to medium low, and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, melt some butter down, crack an egg in, salt and pepper it, and fry it over low heat. Allow the egg to cook for about 5 minutes until it's set.
- Scoop some rice onto a plate, lay the egg over the top, and drizzle the tomato sauce over the rice and egg.
- Serve and enjoy your tomato rice.
Share This Recipe