Tuna pies are simple simple to make and incredibly delicious. All you need is a couple of cans of tuna, some puff pastry you can pick up in the frozen section of any grocery store, and a few other simple ingredients you will probably have in your fridge and pantry. It does not get much more simple than this. Believe me, your friends and family will love these yummy little tuna pies.
As usual, there are a few simple ways you can alter this recipe. First, I use tuna in water, but you can use tuna in oil if you wish. Try to use a fairly good quality tuna, as it will make all the difference in the world.
I use some very basic spices in my pies such as onion, garlic, and pepper. The recipe doesn’t have to be limited to these spices, however. For example, ginger, hot pepper flakes to add some heat, or whatever you like would be a welcomed addition.
I purchase the puff pastry from the grocery store, but if you have the time and energy, you can make it from scratch. It is actually a fun recipe to make.
Give our tuna pies a try. As always, let us know what you think.Video:
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ½ cup of corn
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 2 cans of tuna
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- egg wash
- 240 grams of thawed puff pastry
- Preheat your oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add in the onion and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the flour in and stir until cooked - about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk half at a time while stirring until the mixture becomes creamy. Turn off the heat.
- Put in the corn, peas, cheese, and tuna. Season with salt, pepper, and gently mix until well combined.
- Set it aside in a bowl to cool completely.
- Flour a surface and place the puff pastry on it. Roll it out until it is about 8 inches by 8 inches. Cut this into 4 by 4 pieces using a dough or pizza cutter.
- Place some of the tuna mixture into the center. Spread it out so it stays about ½ an inch from the edge. Lay another piece of pastry over the top and seal it shut with the tip of a fork.
- Place the tuna pies onto a baking tray lined with some parchment paper.
- Place them in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy your tuna pie.
Share This Recipe