Coconut rice is a popular rice dish in South East Asia made with fresh coconut milk and jasmine rice. You can find this dish in Thailand, Malaysia, and India. Depending on the country it is served in, there are some variations such as adding coconut flakes and sugar.
In his recipe, we cook the rice with coconut milk to make it easy and simple. The process is just like cooking rice traditionally. It is cooked manually in a pot. A rice cooker can be used for convenience, however. Cooking rice can really be tricky especially for beginners. But for people in many Asian countries, it is probably one of the easiest kitchen chores they do. Honestly, I cook rice manually a lot of the time. But I will tell you, for the first few times, it was hit and miss. So, to avoid burnt rice or uncooked crunchy rice, you are best to make it in a rice cooker. If you like, ask your mom or a family member how to cook rice the traditional ways and give it a try.
Coconut rice can be paired with many types of Asian main dishes such as teriyaki, chicken barbecue, chicken rice, general tso or even adobo. Remember that this dish has higher calories than ordinary rice due to the coconut milk. But, its definitely fragrant, creamy, aromatic, and delicious.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 cup jasmine rice or any long grain rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- pinch salt
- sesame seeds
- spring onions chopped
- Servings: 2
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Thai
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Rinse the rice and drain the liquid off.
- Add coconut milk, water, and rice into the pot. Season with pinch of salt and bring it to a boil.
- After a boil, cover it and allow it to simmer, over low heat, for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce the heat to low, and allow it to simmer, partially covered, for additional 5 minutes or so until the rice is fluffy and fully cooked. You can do this on rice cooker for convenience.
- When the rice is fully cook, garnish it with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- Serve with favorite Asian main dish and enjoy!