These tasty bacon and egg muffins are often referred to as a complete breakfast in a single bite. I find them a superb weekend breakfast idea because they are incredibly simple to prepare and the kids will go crazy over them. Let’s face it, how can you go wrong with the bacon, toast, and eggs all cooked together.
As always, there are a few variations to the recipe. For example, the cheese is totally optional, but I do find it adds a nice touch. We use old cheddar cheese, but if you do decide to use it, you can use your favourite brand of cheese. The parsley helps to add some color, but it can be left out or substituted with one of your choices of spices. Actually, some finely chopped scallions or green onions might be a nice addition. I find that white and brown toast works nicely but brown is a touch healthier.
To cut the bread into circles, I use the rim of a glass. A mug or any other circular object will suffice too. You can toast up the leftover bread to dip in the eggs so it doesn’t get wasted.
I bake the bacon and egg muffins for 15 minutes which allows the yolks to be perfectly runny. If you want a super runny egg, cut the time back a bit; alternatively, if you want a firmer yolk, let them bake for a tad longer.
Give them a try, and, as always, let us know what you think.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 6 eggs
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 6 slices of bread
- 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp of parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 350 F or 177 C.
- Spray a 6 muffin tray with some baking spray.
- Using a cup, glass, or round container with a 3 inch diameter, cut out the bread into six round pieces.
- Place them into the bottom of the muffin trays.
- Fry the bacon, over medium high heat, for about 2 minutes just to the point where it begins to cook. You don’t want it crispy. Place it on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Place each piece of bacon around the rim of the muffin cup over top of the bread.
- Crack an egg into the centre of each cup.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some cheese over the top and a dusting of parsley flakes.
- Place them in the oven and allow them to bake for about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your bacon and egg muffins.