Chocolate éclair cake is a decadent and simple dessert. The great thing is, there is no baking involved. This makes it a great dessert for many cultures that don’t make use of ovens. The result is a dessert that is simply out of this world. Give our éclair cake a try and, as always, let us know what you think.
There are a few tips to preparing our delicious chocolate éclair cake. To begin with, you can buy the Graham crackers in just about any grocery store around the globe. If you can’t purchase them there, any Asian stores should carry them. I always use the honey Grahams as they add a nice flavor to the dish, but the regular Grahams can be used too. Make sure to have your knife good and sharp so you can trim the crackers to the contours of the dish you are using.
We use Jell-O vanilla pudding in this recipe, but any brand can be used. Try to use a good quality brand, however, as it will add to the decadence and richness of the dish.
A few words should be said about the whipping cream: Again, any brand can be used, but try to use a cream that is above thirty percent in fat content; if you don’t, it will not whip up very well. I always get asked if all purpose cream can be used. The short answer to this is: no. It doesn’t contain enough fat to whip up very well. If you must use it and have no other alternatives, make sure it’s cold, and you might have some success with it.
You can do as many layers as you want for the cake, but I find three is plenty. Just consider that if you have too many layers, it doesn’t set properly. The éclair cake should be placed in the fridge for about 4 to 6 hours. Remember, if you don’t leave it in long enough, it will not set properly; if you leave it in too long, it will become mushy.
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 boxes (30 grams each) of vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- For the Chocolate Topping:
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Add the milk and vanilla pudding to a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, beat until it begins to thicken. Set it aside.
- Combine the whipping cream and sugar in another bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until it thickens.
- Mix the pudding mixture and whipping cream together. Use a whisk to gently fold everything together.
- Lay Graham crackers evenly into the bottom of your preferred container. Place a layer of the mixture over it. Place another layer of crackers over the pudding followed another topping of the mixture. Place a final layer of crackers over the top.
- In a pot, bring the heavy cream to a boil. Place the chocolate chips in a bowl and pour the heavy cream over them. Mix until well combined and the chips are melted. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the final layer of Graham Crackers.
- Cover and allow it to set in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours.
- Slice, sever, and enjoy your no bake chocolate eclair cake.