Beef with broccoli is an American Chinese dish that has been around for many years. As with so many of our recipes, this makes a great midweek meal because it’s so simple and easy. The entire dish can be made in about half an hour. Believe me, it’s tasty, savory, and delicious.
There are a few tips to cooking beef with broccoli. As with so many dishes, the outcome depends on the cut of meat used. I usually use sirloin. You want to cut it fairly thin against the grain. This will give you tender pieces of meat. I only cook the meat for about 4 minutes. If you cook it any longer, it will become tough. I cook the broccoli for the same amount of time as you want it tendercrisp. This means that it’s slightly tender but still has the crunch effect when you bite into it. I don’t know how much limp, soggy broccoli I have eaten in the past. If you are anything like me, it’s certainly not appealing. We add the spices in near the end because they tend to really shine through and make this beef with broccoli recipe out of this world.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1/2 kg of beef sirloin, thinly sliced cut across the grain
- 1/2 head broccoli, florets
- 2 tbsp of corn starch
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 thumb size ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp of hot pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp of vegetable oil, divided
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 drops of sesame oil
- Servings: 3
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Chinese
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir it and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water. Add in the beef and toss,
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan over medium high heat. Put the beef in and stir and fry for about 4 minutes until light brown. Set it aside.
- In the same pan, add in the broccoli. Stir and fry for about 4 minutes until tender crisp.
- Push the broccoli to one side of the pan. Add more oil if needed. Add in the onion, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes. Saute them for 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and sauce to the pan. Stir together and for about 2 minutes.
- Serve you beef with broccoli over steamed rice.