Cheeseburger stuffed onion rings are delicious and easy to make. The are fast food bursting with flavour that the entire family will love. I use my old standby hamburger recipe to make these consisting of lean ground beef, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, tabasco, and garlic. When these ingredients are combined with your choice of onions and the dredge, the taste is out of this world.
Although these tasty cheeseburger stuffed onion rings are considered to be a snack by many, they could suffice as an entire meal. Serve them up with a tossed salad and dinner is ready. The kids will love them too.
There are, of course, some variations to the recipe. For example, you can alter the ingredients in the hamburger mixture. If you like garlic, add more. The same applies to the rest of the ingredients. I have known some people to add finely chopped veggies to their mixture as well. The sky is really the limit. In other words, add what you like and omit what you wish.
The type of onion you use is entirely up to you. I just use white onions as the contain a bit less water than yellow, but Spanish or any other type of onion can be used. It really depends on your tastes.
I use cheese slices, but I’m sure to use the real cheese and not the processed. Any type of cheese can be used in the recipe, however.
- 1 pound or half a kilo of lean ground beef
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 – 5 drops of tabasco
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and divided into rings
- 12 – 16 chunks of old cheddar
- 2 beaten eggs in a bowl
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour in a bowl
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs in a bowl
- Add the beef to a bowl followed by the garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, the tabasco, salt, and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, mix until well combined.
- Peel the onion and cut it into half inch pieces.
- Choose 6 or 8 of the best rings – about 4 inches or so in diameter. The rest you can fry or use in a salad, etc.
- Using you hands, scoop up a good chunk of beef – enough to fill the ring.
- Lay some cheese over the top followed by more of the beef mixture.
- Dredge the onion rings in the flour followed by the egg, and then the bread crumbs. Make sure they are fully covered. Set them aside on a plate.
- Place the oil in a deep frying pan and heat it to 350 degrees F or 177 C.
- Fry the rings up, in batches, until they are golden brown. This will take about 4 minutes or so on each side.
- Set them aside on a wire rack.
- Serve with your favourite sauce and enjoy your cheeseburger stuffed onion rings.