Chicken macaroni and cheese is a simple and delicious comfort food. This is another recipe that I enjoy making midweek as it can be thrown together in about half an hour. I enjoy it served up with fresh dinner rolls and a nice garden salad.
There are a few cooking tips to making the dish. Macaroni noodles work perfectly in this recipe, you could get away with other types of pasta such as penne or facili, however. I use a quick melt cheese that you can pick up in just about any grocery store. You could use a semi soft cheese if you have some on hand. If you want the dish a little thicker, you can add in a little bit more flour. The type of cheese added in at the end is optional. Personally, I like old sharp cheddar. It seems to add a bit of a nip to the chicken macaroni and cheese.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups of elbow macaroni
- 100 grams (4 thick slices) of quick melt cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese (your favorite)
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 1 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- pepper to taste
- Servings: 4
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to package instructions. It should be to the point where they are al dente. This usually takes about 10 or 11 minutes.
- In the mean time, mix the flour and milk together in a bowl. Set it aside.
- Add some cooking oil to a preheated pan. Place the onion, garlic, and chicken in. Season it with pepper. Stir and fry it, over medium high heat, for about 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. The outside should be just beginning to turn brown.
- Add in the quick melt cheese and the milk and flour mixture. Bring it to a boil and stir until the sauce thickens and the cheese melts. This should take 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add in the macaroni. Toss until it is well combined. Add in the cheddar cheese, and mix it quickly until it’s well incorporated.
- Garnish it with some cherry tomatoes and parsley. Serve and enjoy your chicken macaroni and cheese.