Cornbread is a simple and delicious recipe. The applications for it are basically unlimited. This is more of a northern cornbread than a southern due to the presence of sugar. Actually, I enjoy this particular cornbread as a dessert.
There are a few tips to the recipe. First, if you don’t find it sweet enough, you can add a little more sugar. Of course, the opposite holds true. If you find it too sweet, cut back on the sugar a little. If you want honey cornbread, add 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of honey. Actually, a more southern style cornbread can be made by simply leaving the sugar out. You can adjust the measurements according to your taste. You can add additional things to the recipe, as well. For example, you might want to add some additional spices such as cinnamon. If you are making a southern cornbread, consider adding some garlic. Lastly, this type of bread doesn’t keep very well. In light of this, I always bake it up about an hour before I serve it. You can always make up the mixture the night before, slip it in the fridge, and bake the following day.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- Servings: 5
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until everything is well combined. Add in the vegetable oil, milk, and the egg. Once again, whisk until the mixture is smooth and lump free.
- Spray a 9 by 9 pan with baking spray. Alternatively, you can grease the outside edges and the bottom with butter or lard. Pour the batter in and give it couple of shakes to ensure it’s evenly distributed in the pan.
- Place the cornbread mixture in the oven and allow it to bake for 20 to 25 minutes. If an inserted toothpick comes out clean, it’s done.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes, serve, and enjoy your cornbread.