Corned Beef Nilaga is a Filipino beef stew made with corned beef and vegetables. It is similar to traditional nilagang baka but uses canned corned beef. Fresh corned beef can be used, as well. Using the chunky corned beef in a can is less of a hassle, however. It is, nevertheless, equally delicious. What makes this dish more intriguing, is the fact that it is a quick, easy, and straight forward recipe. Open a can of corned beef, cook it for a few minutes, and walla! You have delicious hot soup ready for lunch or dinner. If you are rushing to make lunch for your family, this dish is perfect for you.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 large can chunky corned beef
- 1 beef cube (bouillon)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small cabbage head, shredded
- 1/2 small carrot, cubes (optional)
- 1 small potato, cubed (optional)
- 4 cups or water (or more if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Servings: 3
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Add cooking oil in a preheated pan. Saute the onion, garlic, and tomatoes until fragrant.
Add in the canned corned beef and season with salt and pepper. Stir and saute for a few minutes.
Pour in the water and add in the beef bouillon. Bring it to a boil.
- After a boil, add the potatoes and carrot. Cover and simmer over medium heat for approximately 7 minutes or until it’s tender. (Leave this step our if you don’t have potatoes and carrots on hand).
- When it’s tender, add the cabbage. Simmer it for at least 5 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot and enjoy your corned beef Nilaga!