Crema de fruta is a simple, healthy, and delicious dessert. It consists of three layers: sponge cake, cream filling, and fresh fruit. I usually make it up during the summertime when fruit is at its best. It makes an excellent dessert served up with any meal.
In this recipe, I have chosen to use oranges, kiwi, and strawberries. You can, however, use the fruit of your choice. For example, you could use peaches, grapes, cherries, bananas, etc. The combinations are unlimited. I find an orange, green, and red color combination is really quite pretty. When making the cream, it is important to stir it constantly, over medium low heat, for about 4 minutes only. If you leave it longer, it will become too thick. You could also make a thicker cake by doubling the sponge cake mixture. In this case, you would have sponge cake, cream, sponge cake, cream, fruit. In terms of adding the fruit and decorating, I have a certain technique listed below. You, however, can use your creativity and decorate any way you wish.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
For the Sponge Cake:
- 2/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup of butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
For the Cream:
- 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- Add the egg yolks to a bowl and set them aside.
- 3 oranges, broke into wedges
- 2 kiwi, sliced
- 20 strawberries, sliced
- or fruit of your choice
- Servings: 4
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American, Asian
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer or spatula, mix until they are well combined and a cream forms.
- Add in 1 egg and and the vanilla extract. Mix until it’s well combined. Add in the next egg and mix until it’s well combined. Add in the third egg and mix.
- Add the flour and baking powder to a sifter. Sift them into the mixture. Using a spatula, fold everything together. Do not over mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Bake it at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Add the sugar, flour, salt, and milk to a saucepan. Using a whisk, mix until they are well combined. Whisk it constantly over medium low heat, for about 4 minutes, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy. Turn the heat off. Add a tablespoon of the mixture to the egg yolks to prevent them from scrambling. Mix until they are well combined. Turn the heat back on to medium low, add the egg mixture in, and whisk until it’s well combined. Add in the butter and vanilla extract and continuously stirring consistently until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture over the sponge cake. Add the fruit to the top according to your choice of decorating. Personally, I do the first row using the pattern of two wedges of oranges and a slice of kiwi. The second row is straight strawberry slices. Do this for both sides. The middle row is the orange kiwi combination again.
- Chill or serve you crema de fruta as is.