Kwek-Kwek is a famous street food in the Philippines made up of quail eggs, coated with thick batter and deep fried . It is round and reddish in color, usually dip in vinegar dipping sauce or sweet and sour sauce. As a substitute for atsuete juice, ketchup or paprika powder can be used. Just double the amount of paprika powder. It is a popular and extremely addictive street food sold around the country. It is easy to prepare but need an extra caution, especially when deep frying them. The splatters from a hot cooking oil might contact your skin and burns. To serve this dish, you need a toothpick so it can easily pick up like any of the finger food. It is makes a perfect combination served with vinegar and chopped chili sauce. In this recipe, we made a sweet and sour sauce like we usually seen in a cart along with fish balls and squid balls. Quail eggs are inexpensive yet makes an excellent snack for the whole family. Make this today and enjoy.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 2 dozen quail eggs boiled and peeled
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tbsp Asuete powder or paprika powder
- 1/2 cup water
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper
For sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or chopped
- chopped chili peppers
- Servings: 4
- Time: 35 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Put the cornstarch in a Ziploc bag and place all the quail eggs. Seal and shake until eggs are fully covered with corn starch.
- Dilute the atsuete powder with warm water. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper. Pour in diluted annatto powder. Mix thoroughly until mixture is batter-like.
- Place quail eggs in the batter mixture, making sure eggs are fully covered.
- Heat cooking oil (about 350 degrees F) in a deep frying pan. Deep fry coated eggs for at least 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain with paper towel and set aside.
- To make the sauce: Combine the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour in a preheated saucepan and stir constantly over medium low heat until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce and enjoy!