Fish and chips date back to the 18th century in England. They are one of my all-time favorite meals. Even as a kid growing up in Toronto, I looked forward to having them at least once a week.
The type of fish and beer used in this recipe varies. Cod or haddock fillets are typically used when making fish and chips; although, just about any type of fish can be used. Some people prefer to tilapia, as well. Personally, I prefer cod as it is a nice light fish. When making the beer batter, I use a Guinness dark ale. You can, however, use your favorite brand beer. Just make sure it has a bit of body to it.
The cooking time and temperature are important. Make sure you heat your oil to 350°F and maintain that temperature. For maximum crispiness, I like to give the fish and chips two fries. The first Fry essentially cooks them and brings them to a golden brown. The second Fry, gives them the their crunchiness. It is critical to serve the fish and chips up immediately or they will become soggy.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- four cod fillets
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 3/4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic
- 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper pepper
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of beer – A Guinness’s.beer is good, you can use any type of beer.
- 1 medium egg
For the Chips:
- 3 medium potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- Servings: 2-3
- Time: 40 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: English
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into fries.
- Add 1 cup of all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and garlic to a mixing bowl. Whisk until everything is well combined. Add in the milk, egg, and beer. Mix until a smooth, thick batter forms.
- Add the other half cup of flour into a separate bowl. Dredge the cod fillets in the flour first. Then, dredge them in the beer batter. Set the fillets aside on a plate.
- Add the vegetable oil to a pot. It should be about two or 3 inches deep. Over medium-high heat, bring the vegetable oil up to 350°F.
- Place the french fries in and fry them, in batches, for about 4 minutes or until they begin to become golden brown. Remove them and set them aside a wire rack. Next, place the fish fillets in and fry them for about 3 minutes or until they become golden brown. Remove them and set them aside a wire rack. Put the fries back into the oil, and fry them again for an additional one or 2 minutes. After the fries are done, put the fish back in and fry it for one more minute.
- Put the fish and chips onto a plate, and serve them up with some tartar sauce, ketchup, and the slice of lemon.