Chicken inasal is originally from the Bacolod region of the Philippines. It is a variation of Lechon Manok or chicken barbeque. It became extremely famous due to its unique dipping and basting sauce. It is now referred to as “food for the masses.” I suppose this is because it brings many people from many walks of life together. The unique and flavorful basting sauce is yellow – orange in color. This is probably due to the fact that is made from annatto oil.
Frequent basting is one of the most important factors in cooking this dish. If you don’t do this, they chicken will become slightly dry. Chicken inasal is delightful when combined with garlic fried rice, atchara, and sinamak dipping sauce. When it is cooked with native chickens of the Philippines, the recipe is a classic.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 whole chicken quartered
- bamboo skewers
For marinating sauce:
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 stalks lemon grass chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper
For basting sauce:
- 4 tbsp. melted butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup annatto oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon extract or calamansi
- left over marinating juice
- Servings: 3-4
- Time: 3 hours
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: Filipino
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Marinate the chicken in vinegar, garlic, lemon grass, salt, sugar, and pepper for 1 to 3 hours. Put it on a skewer and set it aside.
- To make the basting sauce, combine the left over marinating juice, annatto oil, melted butter, lemon extract, and soy sauce.
- Grill the chicken over hot coals or on a gas BBQ until it’s roasted. Alternatively, bake it in an oven at 200 degrees C. Be sure to baste it occasionally with the sauce to avoid having it sticking to the grill.
- Place it on a platter with garlic fried rice, atchara and the sinamak dipping sauce.
- To make Sinamak dipping sauce, simply combine soy sauce, chopped chili peppers, pepper, and calamansi extract and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy your homemade chicken inasal!