Homemade pastrami is simple, easy, and delicious. It is as good as any deli pastrami I’ve tasted. It is great for applications such as sandwiches. It likewise makes a great breakfast meat. As always, don’t for get to have it on rye bread. This recipe calls for a lot of ground pepper. Personally, I like it, but it does make it a little of the hot side. If you don’t like, cute it back to about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons. You can also cut back or eliminate the hot pepper flakes.
You can also serve the pastrami immediately after removing it from the oven. I like to place it in the oven a allow the spices to crust on the meat. Just a few minutes on broil will do.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 lb Corned beef brisket
- 3 tbs of ground black pepper
- 1 tbs of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp of hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbs of coriander
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Servings: 5
- Time: 8 hours
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Lightly brush oil on one side of a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Place the corned beef onto the foil.
- In a bowl, add in the coriander and smoked paprika. Mix them until they are well combined.
- Add half the mixed coriander and paprika to one side of the corned beef. Using your fingers or a brush, message it into the meat. Add 1/2 the black pepper, hot pepper flakes, and garlic powder to the same side of the meat. Message it in, as well. Flip the corned beef over and repeat this process for the other side.
- Fold the aluminum foil over the meat, sealing it at both ends. Tear off another layer of aluminum foil. Place the first folded layer on top of it seam side down, and seal it. Repeat this process 4 more times.
- Place it into a preheated at 240 degree oven for 5 hours.
- Remove it from the oven, and put it in the fridge. Allow it to chill over night.
- Remove the pastrami from the fridge, and remove it from the foil.
- Place it back on a baking tray coated with baking spray. Set your oven to broil. Place the pastrami back in and allow it to bake for an additional 10 minutes to allow the spices to get a little crispy.
- Remove it from the oven, and slice it into serving pieces. Enjoy!