This recipe has a sweet and sour taste. The chicken is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. It is perfect with hot steaming rice. The whole dish can be done in 30 minutes. It has ginger, garlic, honey and soy sauce. In this recipe I used cooking wine, you can substitute Chinese wine, rice wine, white wine, or mirin. Or, just use water or stock for the liquid.
This is absolutely better than takeout, and the great thing is you can do it at home. The sauce is simply delightful.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- sesame seeds for garnish
- cooking oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking wine or white wine or rice wine or mirin
- 1 egg
- ground black pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp cooking wine or water
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- Combine the sauce ingredients, stir and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, egg, pepper and cooking wine. Add flour and mix using your hand until well coated.
- Fry in batches until golden brown this will take about 5 minutes or so per batches. Set aside. Discard some oil.
- In the pan, saute garlic and ginger. Pour the sauce in and bring to a boil.
- After a boil, add diluted cornstarch and stir until thickens.
- Put the chicken back in. toss until coated with the sauce. Turn off heat.
- Plate it up and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!