This is a recipe my mom made years ago when I was young. It is a great combination of mac ad cheese, tomato, and spices. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
As always, there are a few variations. First you can add the spices of your choice. Garlic can be added or additional spices.
In terms of the tomatoes, you can add fresh tomatoes or canned. I like canned as it is easier. You can add a bit of extra juice too.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 1 1/2 cups of macaroni noodles cooked to al dente
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese or the cheese of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 800 ml of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 tsp of parsley flakes
- Heat you oven to 350 F or 177 C.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium high heat. Add in the flour and stir until a roux forms.
- Add in the milk and stir until it thickens. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and put in the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Put the mac and cheese noodles in, season with salt and pepper, diced tomatoes, and toss until well combined.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and grate more cheese over the top followed by the bread crumbs and parsley flakes.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your mac and cheese with tomatoes.